The decision to keep schools open or to close them during winter weather conditions is not a simple one, but it is made with one overriding factor in mind: the well-being of our students, their families and staff. It is a good idea to decide in advance how to best keep up with the changes, what childcare arrangements are needed, and how to adjust if schools close due to inclement weather.
Detailed DPS winter weather and snow day information, including information on how families can find out if school is closed, can be found on the DPS transportation website or on the DPS announcements page.
Inside Day Procedures
As the weather changes…
… here’s a reminder about what we do on Inside Days. Parents, guardians and students can assume that rainy, snowy, windy or exceptionally cold days (less than 20 degrees F) are Inside Days. This changes students’ recess and dismissal in the following ways:
Regardless of whether we are having an Inside or Outside day, students need to dress appropriately (e.g., coats, boots, mittens, hats, etc.). All of these items need to be labeled with the students first and last names. Students still need to be protected for the journey to/from home/school, as well as the playground, if the weather improves.
Parents of students who come to school unprepared for the weather will be contacted to determine whether the child needs additional clothing delivered from home or requires a donation from the Family Community Resource Center.
An inside day means inside recess. Staff are assigned to supervise students in the GYM and Room 201.
IBCS will notify families via School Deets no later than 2:45pm if dismissal will be indoors. Students who take the bus, attend Discovery Link or after-school enrichment programs will follow the same protocol – dismissal at 3:00pm. Students who are not picked up by 3:30pm will be brought to the main office to wait for their parents.
Students will be dismissed at the following locations for parent pick-up:
- ECE & Kindergarten – Students’ classrooms – pick-up your child by entering through the exterior door of your child’s classroom
- Bergen – Exterior door located on the South side in the courtyard
- Skip – Exterior door located on the West side
- Shayla – Exterior door located on the South side in the courtyard
- Corey – Exterior door located on the West side
- Calleghan – Exterior door located on North side (playground)
- 1st & 2nd Grade – Students’ classrooms – Please enter through the North Entrance (playground)
- 3rd Grade – West entrance – ECE/Kinder pod
- 4th Grade – North entrance – 1st Grade/2nd Grade pod
- 5th Grade – East entrance – hallway outside of the gym
*Note: The West, North and East entrances will be unlocked from 3:00pm-3:15pm. We will not buzz anyone in before 3:00pm.
**To minimize congestion in our hallways at these busy times, we ask that parents/families leave the building immediately after picking up students. Thank you in advance for being prompt and leaving strollers and large items at home on these days.